Eastport Memorial Nursing Home sits at 23 Boynton Street, across from the Eastport Medical Center. It is a community owned, non-profit, 26 bed facility created out of a community need.
The facility was founded by a field nurse who worked for the Department of Health. Marion McPartland, who hailed from Massachusetts, purchased the former Charles Capen house in February 1940. Along with a nursing associate, Martha Rogers, they energized community members to help clean and equip the new facility as a hospital. It was dedicated on Mother's Day, May 1940.
Through the years the hospital provided a surgical and medical facility and a place where many babies were born.
Over time, the need for a hospital in Eastport waned, and in the early 1980's the facilty evolved to a nursing home. In 1999, an addition was added on to the east side of the facility. Instead of three beds to a room, they were able to expand and have two beds per room along with two private rooms. A new kitchen was built on the ground floor, along with a large bright dining room and separate activity room. The second floor of the old facility is now used for office space.
Situated on the Downeast coast of Maine, in the most easterly city in the United States, this small home-like facility can provide your loved one with the care and love everone wants for a family member.
For more information, please contact the Social Services or the Director of Nursing Services at (207) 853-2531.